Monday, November 07, 2011

Revisiting Confucius

More than 2500 years ago Confucius has been credited for stating the following words concerning how we learn:

I hear and I forget...
I see and I remember...
I do and I understand.


Not that I would even compare myself as an intellectual equal to Confucius, but I would like to make an addition to his words.

I hear and I forget...
I see and I remember...
I do and I understand...
I teach others and make it my own.

It is in the ability of one person to share knowledge with another that the knowledge truly becomes their own to share.  When the information reaches that point of synthesis that it truly becomes clear enough in one's own mind that there is comfort in passing it on to another.  It is in that act that true ownership of the concept is understood and confirmed.

How can we as educators provide the opportunities for our students to gain ownership of the knowledge?

No comments: