Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lesson Planning for Multiple Intelligences

“I believe that the brain has evolved over millions of years to be responsive to different kinds of content in the world. Language content, musical content, spatial content, numerical content etc…”
                                                         -- Howard Gardner --

When developing a lesson I will periodically utilize a multiple intelligences planner to focus on presenting materials to all seven of the intelligences; Logical, Spatial, Musical, Kinesthetic, Linguistic, Interpersonal and Intrapersonal.

I will fill in the following chart to make sure I am providing opportunities for each type of learner in my classroom to find success by utilizing their strengths to process the concepts and application of the information of the given topic, theme or lesson.

I ask a series of questions to gaurantee that I am looking for opportunities to address each of the seven multiple intelligences.

Logical
How can I bring numbers and calculations into this lesson?
Are there methods of classification and organization that can be utilized?
Will students incorporate logic and critical thinking as part of the learning process?

Spatial
Can I utilize visualizations, color, and visual aids to this presentation?
Will students draw or create images to coincide with the lesson?

Musical
How can I bring music and sound to this lesson?
Can I utilize rhythm or meoldy to present this lesson?
Can key points be linked to sounds?

Kinesthetics
How can involve whole body experiences?
Are there hands on activities that can be utilized?
Can students move to reference key points and ideas?

Linguistic
How am I utilizing the spoken, written and read word in this lesson?
Can students utilize vocabulary?
Are stories, metaphors and analogies useful to this lesson?

Intrapersonal
Are students asked to relate their own experience to this lesson?
Can students evoke emotion, feelings or memories?
Are students given an opportunity to make personal choices?

Interpersonal
Are students engaged in peer sharing?
Can group activities be used to simulate this information?
Is cooperative learning possible for this lesson?

No comments: