Thursday, January 13, 2011

If , as a teacher,

If, as a teacher,
I present the same lessons in the same manner that I have used in the past;
I seek no feedback from my student;
I do not analyze and evaluate their work in a manner that changes my own emphasis, repertoire, and timing;
I do not visit and observe other adults as they teach;
I do not share the work of my students with colleagues for feedback, suggestions, and critiques;
I do not visit other schools or attend particular workshops or seminars or read professional literature on aspects of my teaching;
I do not welcome visitors with experience and expertise to observe and provide feedback to me on my classroom practice;
I have no yearly individualized professional development plan focused on classroom changes to improve student learning;
and finally,
I have no systemic evaluation of my teaching tied to individual, grade/department, and school-wide goals,
Then, I have absolutely no way to become better as a teacher.

I recieved this poem about six years ago from a workshop at Concordia University. 
I have embraced the idea of invigorating my own learning curve as a means of making sure I do not stagnate in my methodologies to maximize the learning opportunities for the students entrusted to my care.

No comments: